Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Engine


The engine replacement has been a long, frustrating and stressful process.  We've run into numerous physical and financial hurdles, and although Mike and I tried to prepare for the many unexpected surprises that replacing the engine on such an old vehicle would bring, we still somehow underestimated the harsh reality of it all.  I can say this--we've committed ourselves to this far more than we did the day we bought her.  Anyone can buy an old car and talk about fixing it up--but talk is cheap.  In fact, talk is usually free.  After only a few months of ownership, Stella put our love and dedication to the ultimate test, and dared us to put our money where our mouth is.

Our first obstacle came during engine delivery to the shop.  Apparently the service manager we spoke with didn't exactly do the best job communicating to the parts department that a crate engine was on its way, destined for an old Corvette in the hurt locker.  Knowing nothing about it, the parts department sent the engine right back the way it came when it arrived at the shop.  Distraught, Mike and I managed to catch the delivery service before they left the area (remarkably, six hours later they were still making deliveries nearby! Talk about luck!) and told them to take it back a second time.  Finally on the same page, Mike and I were able to tow the Vette in the following day and finally get work started on it.

The mechanic gave us a 3-day time frame, which started on Wednesday morning.  By Friday morning, he had called to inform us that every single gasket from the old engine had to be replaced, rather than transferred to the new engine.  This drove up the price beyond what we had originally thought we could afford, and it also extended our time to the following Tuesday/Wednesday.  I wanted them replaced though--the last thing I want to happen is an old gasket to go and ruin my brand new engine.

Wednesday night rolls around and Mike gets a call saying that it'll be done by 6 PM, provided the test drive goes smoothly.  We hear nothing else from them, so assuming that all is well, we show up first thing Thursday (today) morning to pick her up.  We get there and her carburetor and air filter are still pulled out and unattached.  The tech guy states the obvious:  "It's not ready yet."  And I find myself struggling to not get upset.  At this point, I've been so worried and stressed about it for so long that I just want her back home and safe with me.  I miss her so bad.

And so, I've spent all day today waiting for my phone to ring.  Paranoid to even take out the trash and leave it alone for two minutes, lest it should choose that perfect time to ring.  But of course, it rings while I'm driving and I get another voicemail from the mechanic, this time saying our water pump won't work with the new engine.  It won't be ready until (best case scenario) tomorrow morning.  And for some reason, be it that he felt bad about the trouble we've had (i.e. them sending the engine back and taking a week longer than projected) or simply because he likes the car, a guy at the shop brought a water pump from home off their old 350 engine.  

I still don't really know when exactly it will be finished, if it will run when they turn the key, what it will cost me, or how I'll get it back home.

But damn, my Stella-baby looked so beautiful on that shop lift.  Broken engine and all. :) 


1 comment: